This delicious and easy-to-make baked bean recipe has been my go-to solution for picnics, family reunions, and holiday gatherings for close to three decades. I named it after its creator, my college roommate and lifelong BFF’s mom. (Madeline is hands down one of the best cooks I know).
I hope you enjoy it, too!
Madeline’s Best Baked Beans
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 T. white vinegar
1 tsp. brown mustard
15 oz dark kidney beans, drained
15 oz butter beans, drained
30 oz pork and beans, undrained
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
16 oz center-cut bacon, cut into 1″ sections
- Place the top oven rack in the center position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine ketchup, sugar, brown sugar, vinegar, and brown mustard in an oven-safe baking dish.
- Add kidney beans, butter beans, and pork & beans. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Fry 16 oz. bacon* (preferably center cut) with 1 finely chopped small (or 1/2 – 3/4 large) onion. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon and onions from pan and place on folded paper towels to remove excess fat.
- Add cooked bacon to bean mixture and stir to combine. Bake uncovered at 350° for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!