Sweet roasted pears, decadent creamy blue cheese, and peppery arugula are perfectly complemented by a balsamic vinegar reduction to give this salad incredible flavor.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
4 firm pears, peeled and cut into wedges
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 c. fresh arugula
2 T. chopped pecans or walnuts
1 large shallot, minced.
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. blue cheese, crumbled
Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Peel and slice pears into 8 evenly sized wedges (An apple slicer works great for this). Place pear wedges on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat™ baking mat.
- Brush one tablespoon olive oil over the pears and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Roast for 20 – 25 minutes, turning twice, until pears are evenly browned. Remove from oven and cool for several minutes.
- While the pears are roasting, place the arugula in a large salad bowl and set aside.
- In a large, dry skillet, add nuts and toast over medium heat, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour nuts on top of the arugula.
- Sauté shallots in one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and stir occasionally until the liquid is reduced by one half, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool for several minutes. Whisk in remaining olive oil and season with additional salt and black pepper, to taste. Pour dressing over the arugula and toss quickly. Top with blue cheese and roasted pear wedges right before serving. Enjoy!