Culinary herbs are one of the best ways to pull a recipe together. In fact, one of the best things about warmer weather is being able to walk outside your door to snip a handful of fragrant fresh herbs right from your own garden.
However, if gardening isn’t your thing or you find yourself without access to fresh herbs during the cold months of the year, dried herbs are a pretty good substitute.
Tip: When substituting dried herbs for fresh, use 1/3 the amount of dried as you would fresh.
Storing Your Dried Herbs
Spice racks are a great way to store and organize your collection of dried herbs and spices. (affiliate link) On the downside, they tend to collect dust in all those nooks and crannies – and some less-popular herbs and spices may languish long after their prime.
If you’re unhappy with the current way you store spices, here are a few things to consider before buying a spice rack. These tips will help you find the best spice rack for your kitchen, cooking style and budget.
3 Important Questions To Ask
- What style will work best in your kitchen?
- How much space will it require?
- How much do it cost?
- Magnetic spice racks which can be hung on any metal surface.
- Carousel spice racks require more space than the magnetic kind, but they often hold more.
- Hanging spice racks will keep spices up off your cabinet but they often don’t hold as much as the other types.
Next you’ll want to consider how much space you have in your kitchen. If you have plenty of counter space, a carousel rack might be the perfect choice. However, if you lack sufficient counter space, one of the other types might be a better choice.
Finally, you’ll want to consider the cost of spice racks. There are so many to choose from and they range in price from well under $25 for a basic wire shelf to well over $100. Consider how much you are willing to spend based on your budget, how often you cook and how much aesthetic appeal means to you.
Before Buying a Spice Rack, Consider:
- Capacity: Some spice racks come with a range of pre-filled and sealed spice jars, while others come with empty containers you can fill yourself. Some are basically empty storage units waiting for you to add your own containers of herbs and spices.Consider how many spices you can store in each unit before buying. Also think about about what types of food you normally prepare to help you decide which spice rack is best for you.
- Labeling Options: You’ll want to find a spice rack that makes it easy to identify the herbs and spices you need. This may be possible either by a label on the cap or around the jar itself. Keep in mind, if they come pre-labeled, you may feel limited in terms of what spices you can store in it.
- Construction: Spice racks can be made from anything from plastic to wood to metal. Consider the décor of your kitchen to help you decide which spice rack is best for your kitchen.”
- Size: How much space does it take up on your countertop or in your cabinet? Does it use non-traditional means to store your spices such as magnets or a hanging rack which can be placed under a cabinet?
- Rotates: Some spice racks will revolve or rotate to make finding the right spice easier.
- Easy cleaning: Most spice racks have a lot of nooks and crannies where dust and cooking oils can accumulate. Depending of the construction materials, some spice racks are much easier to clean than others.
For your convenience, I’ve put together this quick comparison chart:
|KitchenArt Pro 2500
Auto-Measure Spice Carousel
|Jar Count||27, Not Included||12 Dispensers||16 jars|
|Rotates||No, In-Cabinet Storage||Yes||Yes|
|Size||8h x10.75w x10.75″d||9.5 x 9.5 x 6.8″||10 x 10 x 12″|
|Spice Labels||Yes||Yes||On Lids|
|Amazon Rating||4.6 out of 5||4.4 out of 5||4.2 out of 5|
|Special Offers/Features||Free Shipping||Auto-Measure Dial; Under-Cabinet (Mount Included); Stackable||Free Shipping|
|Where to Buy||Click Here||Click Here||Click Here|
Odds are, you are going to be living and working with whatever spice rack you choose for years to come. Keeping these factors in mind before you buy can help you make the best choice for you.